Friday, June 24, 2011

Vic Sushi Bar - 20th and Sansom St

Vic Sushi Bar
Continuing my trend of visiting restaurants in tiny spaces today I head over to one of the tiniest of sushi spots and also the closest and most convenient option, Vic Sushi Bar.  The name really does sum up the entirety of the operation. Its a sushi bar surrounded by maybe 8 seats and that's it.  If you want to sit down you better come early or really late cause these seats get occupied quickly.
The big draw of Vic's has always been, in relative terms, what I would consider cheap sushi.  They have a special that serves you any 3, 8 pieces rolls, out of a selection of over a dozen for $10.95.  That's less than 50cents a piece!  Now, like burning and house or rectal and probe, cheap and sushi are two words I usually don't want to hear together.  It conjures up images of being planted face first in a toilet bowl.  But as far as I'm concerned the fish here is as fresh as any of the other casual sushi places in the area.


1) i Roll - $13.95
Damn it, why do I have to be such an Apple fanboy.  I don't know what I was expecting.. maybe an effigy of Steve Jobs in roll form but that lowercase i had an unusual affect on my decision making.  As the words i Roll were coming out of my mouth faster than my eyes could comprehend its list of ingredients one in particular stood out only after it was too late...pineapple.  The roll comes with spicy tuna, white tuna, pineapple, avocado, masago, coconut jam all wrapped in soy paper.  What makes this "i" doesn't seem to have anything to do with the great purveyor of all things "i" but regardless I can safely say, just like pineapple on pizza, I don't like pineapple in my sushi.  I'm not a sweet and savory kind of guy. Its either one or the other and rarely do I enjoy the combination.  The pineapple was an unwelcome burst of sweetness in an otherwise savory and enjoyable roll.  This was an iMistake.. at least for my tastes. [5/10]


1) Crazy Roll - $13.95
My first roll left me unsatisfied so needing to satiate my pallet I asked for the Crazy Roll.  This item was on the white board so I don't believe it's part of their standard menu but it includes spicy tuna, avocado, lump crab on top with a wasabi mayo.  I think subconsciously I was calling myself crazy for ordering 2 of the specialty rolls that individually cost more than the 24 piece special but it was too late, this Toyota's accelerator was stuck on go.  Thankfully, this was a great roll. You really can't go wrong with crab and tuna.  I actually mix in lump crab meat when I make my tuna salad so it's a combo that I've always enjoyed.  [8/10]

3) 3 Roll Special - $10.95
Now the order that makes Vic Sushi Bar the default sushi destination.  Spicy tuna, yellow tail scallion and cucumber were the 3 selected for today's special.  Well made, fresh ingredients and cheap! [7/10]

Overall LTE score [7/10] 
As small as this place is it really does a good job of delivering quality sushi. While some of the rolls aren't my favorite the ingredients are always fresh(well the pineapple was probably from a can).  For your normal casual lunch the 3 roll special is a must.
Now this is just an observation but I've noticed the take out rolls are of a slightly inferior construction to what you would get sitting in.

No comments:

Post a Comment