Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Au Bon Pain - 20th and Market St

Au Bon, Bring on the, Pain
Au Bon Pain, for those who aren't familiar, is a "fast casual bakery and cafe chain" that has over 250 locations scattered across the country and even some internationally.  Wow that certainly sounds impressive and how awesome would it be to have this successful franchise occupy the same building as the one I'm in.  The answer would be not awesome at all, in fact it's shitty.
There is an Au Bon located about 10 steps away from the elevator that I come in and out of everyday and yet I never go there.  That should say everything you need to know about how I feel about Au Bon Pain.
In fairness, this place did have its run with me at one time.  When I had just started in this building, not knowing the area well, I willingly frequented Au Bon out of convenience and also out of an ignorance to my surroundings.  I repeatedly overpaid for bad sandwiches and dull salads thinking that this was what lunch life was like in the city.  The only redeeming items were the soups, which I must admit, are consistently good.  If only I could eat a container of soup for lunch I would've been content with having a good soup spot downstairs but I need more than just soup which is why I stopped going here.

1) Lobster Salad Sandwich - $12.99 + Lg Chicken pot pie soup - $4.99
It would take a torrential downpour and the lure of a new, seemingly awesome, menu item for me to even consider stepping back into Au Bon Pain.  Well the Gods were in Au Bon's favor today as I find myself getting lunch from here after a long hiatus.  The new menu item, as pictured above, is the Lobster sandwich.  It was almost too ridiculous to think that this place, who can so royally screw up a ham and cheese croissant sandwich, would have the stones to tackle a lobster sandwich.  Maybe...just maybe in the time since I've shunned this establishment they've gotten their shit together.  NOPE.  This was terrible, you know that one piece of lobster you get with your seafood delight chinese food, so rubbery that it almost squeaks between your teeth when you eat it.  Yep, I think if it weren't for the mayo I would've definitely heard some squeaking.  I don't know what I was thinking, maybe that they wouldn't charge $13 for a shit sandwich but everything here is overpriced and crappy so why did I think this would be different.  [2/10]

Overall LTE score [4/10]  I've heard their baked goods are pretty good and it would make sense since this is supposed to be a fast casual bakery but I'm not eating crumpets for lunch so my score is solely based on my lunch time experience which is sandwiches, salads and soups.  The soups are good, the rest are not.

No comments:

Post a Comment