Monday, July 11, 2011

Rachael's Nosheri - 19th and Sansom St

Oddly enough a good NY/Jewish style deli is not easy to come by here in Center City.  God forbid you want something kosher, I don't think you'd be able to find many reliable sources without going out to the Main Line or South Jersey.  Fortunately for me I'm not limited to a kosher diet so just finding a deli that serves up massive sandwiches would make me happy.  I have found this happiness at Rachael's Nosheri right off of Rittenhouse Square.

The space is interesting to say the least.  When you enter you're immediately funneled into a cafeteria style line, trays included, and you wait for one of the guys behind the counter to ask what you'd like.  At the end of the line is the register and containers of complementary pickles and pickled tomatoes which you can take to your hearts desire.  Also there's a napkin dispenser which you'll want to make full use of as you don't want to be caught without a square of spare considering how messy these sandwiches can be.
As a whole it's actually kind of an ugly place. The tables are covered in a heavy duty plastic which I hope was a utilitarian decision and not an aesthetic one.  The walls are covered with random pictures and news clippings and there was a globe, like one you would find in an elementary school classroom, at the corner I was sitting at...lets move onto the food.

1) The Perfect Match - $8.50
Now this is why you go to a deli like Rachael's.  Piled high with corned beef, Rumanian pastrami, swiss cheese, cole slaw and Russian dressing their sandwiches are delicious and gigantic.  Their meats are almost melt in your mouth lean which is so vitally important when you're trying to tackle a sandwich the size of your face.  A note about their sandwiches though, they are heavy with Russian dressing so if you're sensitive to this you might want to ask them to go light on it.  There's a lot to eat here but the goodness overrides my stomachs fullness and I'm left with only half an uneaten pickle at the end of this lunch.  

Overall LTE score [8/10] I haven't had a chance to order outside of their sandwich menu mainly because every time I go here I want to stuff my face with delicious deli meat.  At some point I hope to get to the rest of the menu but in the mean time just the sandwiches alone make Rachael's one of the best places to get a deli sandwich in Center City.

No comments:

Post a Comment