Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Oyster House - 15th and Sansom St


Oyster House aka Crack House
Celebrating your 2nd year anniversary by serving up a $15 lobster roll can most accurately be compared to declaring half off crack on a street corner in North Philly.  There will be no end to the stampede of eager to empty their pockets, pleasure seeking, substance abusers that will come in search of this discounted product.  This was made quite evident as we walked to the Oyster House at what we thought was an early time of 11:30 only to be greeted by a line outside of fellow junkies for the carry out rolls and a packed house inside.

Luckily for us we arrived just ahead of the bulk of the pack and we were able to be seated quickly at the raw bar.

The order of the day was written right on the wall, we will celebrate Oyster House today with the crack roll.

1) Lobster Roll - $15
And here it is in all its glory.  But wait...like an addict feeling like his bag was shorted a few grams I immediately looked around to see if everyone else had only a piece of toasted breads worth of roll like I did.  Even though it was packed high with lobster I was expecting something more substantial from this highly rated roll.  Sure enough we all had the same thing.  How can this be? Is this what I would get for the normal $26 order or is this discount just a scam in disguise?  Never having had the lobster roll here before I had nothing to base my suspicions on other than the idea of paying $26 for this seemed ludicrous.  But then I took a bite and like Ewan Mcgregor overdosing off that hit of heroin in Trainspotting, I was sunk into the floor and my suspicions vanished.  The lobster was perfectly tender, seasoned with chives, celery and of course the classic mayo.   The buttery toast completed this in a way that will make me never question anything being served on a piece of toast ever again.  The old bay chips that came on the side with the lobster roll were...well they were old bay chips but they complimented the dish.  This was a symphony of lobster goodness that I never wanted it to end.  But alas, like all highs it did and I was left with empty pockets craving more.  [9.5/10]

2) Canyon Oaks Chardonnay 2009 California - $7
Tastes of oak and vanilla, it was not too bad but I'm sure it came from a $10 bottle of wine.

Overall LTE score [9/10] "Thank you, your honor. With God's help I'll conquer this terrible affliction."
If I were made of money I would eat here everyday but I am not so a part of me hates this place.

http://www.oysterhousephilly.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment