Thursday, June 16, 2011

Pita Pit - 16th between Chestnut and Sansom St

The Pita Pit, not quite the pits
I love gyros and falafel so the idea of an assembly line pita place had peaked my curiosity but it was never quite enough to get me to try this place out.  Besides there are great options much closer by like Christo's falafel truck, Mamas Vegetarian, NY Gyro cart to name a few(reviews coming soon!).
So when I saw an email from Groupon advertising a $5 for $10 deal for the Pita Pit the motivation to try out this place appeared in the form of a discounted lunch.

When you walk in and get in line you're greeted by a large menu, with seriously, a lot of stuff on it.  Making a decision looking at this thing was not easy so we humbly deferred to the favorites section.

The counter is what seems to be ubiquitous among these made to order places, trays full of ingredients behind a plexiglass shield.  When you order they'll ask if you want the usual and since I'm a give me what it comes with kind of guy I opted for the usual.

1) Greek God - $7.99
They must be referring to the God of Sauces cause this thing came loaded in it. Grilled chicken, gyro lamb, feta cheese, onions and peppers all covered in tzatziki and "secret sauce".  The ingredients in themselves were pretty good, not the best gyro meat I've ever had but not the worst, everything else seemed fresh and the sauces were flavorful.  Unfortunately as I got further into the sandwich the sauces, in particular this "secret sauce", really started to overpower with a sour, bitterness.  Also, I don't know if this is because it was wheat, but the pitas were on the flimsy side.  I expected a soft, cushiony pita from a place called the Pita Pit but they felt more like wraps.  I think maybe a heftier pita or less sauce would've made this sandwich much more enjoyable [4/10]


2) California Club - $7.50
Turkey, bacon, spinach, tomatoes, peppers, honey mustard and guacamole.  This was a lot like the other sandwich in that the ingredients were good but the sauces really took over.  But unlike the sour, bitterness of the Greek God this had a heavy dose of sweetness from the honey mustard.  The honey mustard along with the guacamole was actually a good combination in my opinion but again it felt like I was eating a sweet guac sandwich by the end. [5/10]

Overall LTE score [5/10] I don't think I'm a fan of this place.  Even with the Groupon I can't say this was a lunch that I would want to repeat.  If I had paid full price could this have been a 4?  Next time I will ask for them to go light on the sauce so that problem is fixable but the flimsiness of pita bread can't be fixed so easily.

http://www.phillypitapit.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment