Monday, July 25, 2011

Panda Express @ Market and Shops at Comcast Center - 17th and JFK Blvd

Back from the recesses of the fiery pits of hell that was this past triple digit, record breaking heatwave, I managed to step outside of the office to get lunch today.  85degrees with 70% humidity never felt more spring like.  So in honor of this day, where going outside doesn't feel like you're entering Satan's asshole, I thought I'd get fast food Chinese. I've been meaning to review a place at the "Market and Shops at Comcast Center" and I noticed that this one gets pretty busy.  A sign of good things right?

1) 3 Entree Meal - $7.50
Standing in front of the dozen or so options I was asked, rather impatiently, by the lady at the counter, to make my selection. My brain seized. She was staring me down like I was paying with pennies so I had to be quick about it.  I hastily picked the Chow Mein, Orange Chicken, Beijing Beef.  The chow mein tasted like it had been sitting in the warming tray for a little while. I would probably get it again only because I love chow mein but it was average at best.  The orange chicken was better. It wasn't chewy or over cooked and was comparable to what I'd get at my corner Chinese restaurant.  The beijing beef was another story.  I could not discern anything that resembled beef in this entree. If you told me that this was deep fried cardboard I'd probably say, "damn this cardboards not bad" but as beef, I did not enjoy it.  Also the double sweetness from the Orange chicken and beijing beef sauces started making me a little nauseous. These 2 were not a good combo.

Overall LTE score [5/10] Meh is the feeling I get about the Comcast food court in general and Panda Express goes right along with this feeling.  It is one of the nicest looking food courts you'll see but the aesthetics is what I leave here most impressed with.  If it's your first time in search of a food court I would try the one at Liberty Place, if it's your first time at Comcast Center, I would not suggest Panda Express unless you're dying for some chinese.  Lascalas is nice, albeit expensive, and there's a Chipolte'ish place called the Mexican Post which I like much better than Panda.

3 comments:

  1. A 3 entree meal would be 7.50, but what you got was 2 entree meal.. ^_^ which is less..

    You chose 2 deep fried entrees what do you expect.. Your only fair review was the beijing beef, its definitely not for everyone, I have had it more than once at different locations and its always the same like deep fried jerky perhaps..

    Usually I order sweet fire chicken (deep fried), then 2 stir fry's like kung pao chicken
    or black pepper chicken etc..
    or mandarin chicken, or mushroom chicken,
    this gets you more veggies this way.. Take most of it home I don't try to down it all in one sitting. : p
    Don't forget to grab a pair of chopsticks. =]

    I assure you the chow mein doesn't go bad while its sitting ^_^ they replenish these dishes through out the day.

    The shanghai angus steak (like the kobari beef before it) is quite good.. as well as the shrimp dishes..

    I also would get the chow mein everytime.. however you do have the option to get half rice and half chow mein.
    or steamed rice...
    or mixed veggie.. probably a better choice..

    they also have a host of other sides and appetizers.. potstickers, cream cheese rangoons,
    hot and sour soup.

    condiments are real red chili sauce..
    kikkoman naturally brewed soy sauce..
    these things arent what you get at your
    chinese place around the corner take out..
    These are of better quality.

    Panda Express is a Fast food chinese but its also very calculating and very clean.
    Take advantage of the staples they provide.

    Regarding your entree choices..
    You have chosen........Poorly..

    Getting all and only deep fried foods is a noob mistake. Or someone who doesnt really enjoy chinese just heavy and sweet dishes..

    Your review was dark and brooding and quite predictable.. get outside and walk ffs..

    ReplyDelete