Friday, August 12, 2011

Latin Farmer - Love Park (Closed)

The food truck phenomenon rolls on as Center City is introduced to Latin Farmer, the latest in a growing number of "gourmet" food trucks in the area.  This is a trend that I accept with open arms.
We all know that the street food scene is a little weak here, especially when you compare it to the other side of the Schuylkill River in University City.  I've always kind of wondered why this was.  I guess maybe the preexisting stigma of getting food from a truck has a part in it and also the availability of street space is probably a hindrance.  But thanks to the ever increasing acceptance of restaurant quality food coming from a truck and open spaces like Love Park we're seeing the renaissance of food trucks finally coming to age in Philly.

From their website: "Latin Farmer is a sustainable, local and responsible approach to Latin food...We try our hardest to use fresh ingredients, biodegradable and compostable supplies, and use local products and resources as often as possible in efforts to minimize our footprint while also giving back to our community."
Being the hippie that I am, this mission statement gets a definite plus in my book.

El Menu.  Notice the Friday special, I assume this will change from week to week.

1) Bocadillo - $8
First up the Friday special. Malta braised pulled beef, chipolte peach aioli, chayote apple slaw, queso de papa.  The pulled beef was tender but a bit on the under seasoned side.  The queso de papa and aoili saved this sandwich from being too boring.   [7/10]

2) Skirt Steak Collard Wrap - $8
Tomato chimichurri, chayote apple slaw, queso fresco.  The same braised beef from the sandwich before but unfortunately there was nothing to give it that kick it needed as the queso de papa and aoili did in the Bocadillo.  The leaf wrap itself though is pretty awesome so even though I was a little disappointed in the flavoring the concept was nice.  [7/10]

3) Choripan - $7
Chorizo, sugarcane stewed onions, queso de papa, banana ketchup/pineapple culantro grain mustard.  Now this is a real gourmet hotdog.  I thought it worked well as I'm a huge fan of chorizo and equally a huge fan of hotdogs.  I would've liked it more had the sausage had more bite and snap to it.  Nevertheless I would definitely order this again.  [7.5/10]

4) Roasted Sofrito Hummus w/ Seasoned Plantain Chips - $4
The hummus was very good.  Plantain chips were an interesting choice for dipping instrument, unfortunately one I didn't really care for.  I would've preferred something more neutral to enjoy my hummus with. [7/10]

5) Cucumber Mojito Agua Fresca - $3
Wish I got more juice here because with the size of the cup combined with the amount of ice included I drank this non alcoholic mojito in 4-5 sips.  The flavor was distinctively cucumber with just enough sweetness to make it interesting.  It was good but next time I'm bringing a flask of rum. [6/10]

Overall LTE score [7/10]  Love Park is quickly becoming the flash mob meetup spot for food trucks.  I think this is a very good thing for the food scene in Philly and hope this can spread throughout the rest of Center City.  Latin Farmer is a welcome addition and it delivers in a lot of ways.  I think the price could use a reduction, $8 for half a sandwich with no sides is a bit steep but maybe when they get a better idea of their business those prices will adjust.
At the time of this review they will be serving in Love Park on Wednesdays and Fridays only.

http://www.latinfarmer.com/

2 comments:

  1. Great writeup-- love to see a collard wrap on any menu, especially a food truck. Everything looks a little on the small side though :/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment! Yeah the unfortunate consequence inherit with the gourmet moniker, smaller portion sizes. It would've been a light lunch had I ate only one sandwich.

    ReplyDelete